Wednesday, October 04, 2006

European Vacation!!

Well, I am back and back into the swing of things since my European vacation. God, what a good time. Perfect vacation, perfect group of friends! I had every intention of breaking it down, day by day, but now I just feel like a synopsis will do. :-)

traveling is hard on your own. The flights over were long and boring, but that interior hamster wheel was turning so fast, the time flew by. I had such an adrenalin rush on my way over, I hardly slept. Upon my arrival in dear Amsterdam, I found that my surprise was much needed, as my friends had a bit of bad luck to begin our time in Amsterdam, no luggage :( I arrived at the hostel to find Sam and Laura checking their email (and the status of their bags), not the exact place I wanted to walk up to Laura and say "Surprise! The Candy Man has arrived!!" but, it worked out. We did many walking tours of the city, seeing as much as we could fit into the 2 days we had their. Amsterdam is an amazingly beautiful city. Beautiful people, so friendly and welcoming, and yes, weed around every corner!! I tried not to over do it though, I mean I wasn't there to just sit around and get high the whole time, I think I did a good job of maintaining a certain amount of decorum. The Anne Frank Museum was humbling, to say the least, and I got to see a real Windmill up close and personal, hooray! We won't mention the paddle boat incident, yes there was an incident, and under different circumstances, it would have been a delightful way to see the city.

From Amsterdam we traveled to Rome, via Brussels. What can I say about Rome!? Gorgeous men, awe inspiring sites, good food. . .So wonderful. We did our best to get around and see the major sites. Our incredible tour guide Sam got us from one site to the other effortlessly. I was so ecstatic to have someone who was so good at reading maps, thank you Sam!!! The coliseum, the Pantheon, the Forum, Vatican City. . .So many other sites that we saw I just can't even begin to list them all. It was incredible. We even visited a Roman Gay bar, where I went on to enact a quite steamy scene from Queer as Folk in the very dark back room of The Hanger with a guy I met from New York! And came pretty close to having an audience for the occastion! Mark got his GROOVE back!! Hooray! After 4 months of celibacy, it was a much need release! (yeah, pun intended).

Now that I am back, I have a much more positive outlook on things. I have incredible friends who I have shared this awesome experience with. I couldn't think of a better group of people to travel with. Yeah, of course there were some obstacles, aren't there always? But, I would jump on a plane with any and all of them at a moments notice. Sam, Katie, Cathy, John and Laura, thank from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't think of a better group to share my first international trip with, I will never forget this trip nor the incredible amount of laughter and camaraderie that I felt with you all. It brings a tear to my eye to know how blessed I am with the friends that I have right now, not only my traveling buddies, but all of you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you are blessed with such good friends. I think that traveling with close friends is a very unique and powerful bonding experience...And wow a "Queer as Folk" rendezvous in Rome!!(when in Rome)

Now I must know more about the Paddle Boat incident, please do tell...via e-mail in need be.

T. Deseeus

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home