Monday, March 26, 2007

Ah spring, one of my favorite times of year, summer being my favorite, of course. A time for rebirth and for new adventures. I decided to start this spring off with attending a drag show. I will, however, refrain from citing which drag show.

My expectations were low to begin with, thank god since even the lowest expectations could not prepare me for what was to come. The show started with a line up of drag queens, pretty much strutting through the bar and lip syncing (some good, most badly) to a song (the name of the song escapes me). I understand that drag performance is lip syncing. . and that's fine, but at least know the words! From there we got into the actual "numbers". Now, I have been to some pretty good drag shows in DC, and some great ones in Baltimore. I understand the hard work that goes into the numbers, the costumes, choreography and the like, and just wanted to say to some of these drag queens, "go see how it should be done!" Ok, some examples you say? Here you go. . . .

One of the numbers, Cher's Strong Enough, was done by a rather large drag queen (which is fine, really) dressed in a Madonna-esque wig and, I kid you not, a cow print, skin tight dress. Now, ok. . .I can understand wanting to do something interesting with you costume, but at least pick something that Cher would actually wear! I mean, if you are not going to do a Cher hairstyle, at least pick a dress that doesn't look like something off of a sofa in a rodeo bar! Next up, another large drag queen, who fancies herself Lypsinka, and tried to do a montage of Mommie Dearest moments stitched with music clips from Whitney Houston. I give you props for attempting, but make sure you know the words to your skit before attempting it.

Were they all bad? No, there were some good moments as well. One of the drag queens lipsanc (is that a word?) to a Mo'nique stand up routine that was hilarious. I probably won't be back for another show, but hey. . at least I tried something new right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home