Monday, June 18, 2007

As is expected, another exciting update on my summer off from doing shows. Had quite the weekend, and thought I would share some of the highlights here. It started out pretty mellow, left work on Friday to meet up with the real estate agent for another round of condo shopping. I am not sure why, but it seems that all of the places that I have been looking at don't seem to take into account the need for a sofa in the living room. It kind of amazes me. Sure, I could fit a sofa into most of them, but that would be about it, no tables, not shelves, not alot of decorating potentials. Sure, I am resigned to the fact that I will be downsizing, that in my price range, there are not going to be any places that would be comparable to the apartments I have had, but still. . .if nothing else. . .I need 1) to have room for a sofa and some sort of dining room arrangement 2) a normal person tub, not these ridiculous apartment size semi-tubs. That being said, I saw a couple of places I could make work, but nothing that screamed. . this is mine!! From there I met a friend for dinner at Tabaq Bistro on U Street. Good food, and company. From there, I dashed home to change and await my ride to the Guerilla Queer Bar being held at Tony and Joe's in Georgetown. Now, I had heard a little about this event, but had never attended. The basic premise, gather as many gay folks as you can, and descend upon a straight bar. From this understanding, I thought of it as a competition. Let's see if we can gather more gays at a straight bar than straight people. Yeah, silly, I know. I was standing there in the middle of silicon and metrosexual central thinking, where is the score board? Are the gays winning? We hung out there for a while, then decided we had had enough, and made our way back to the Dupont area. On our way, we received a call from a friend of my friend who invited us to go and hang out at his place. Perhaps it was the alcohol, or perhaps it was the lack of details on why we were going to this person's house, but the mere mention of hot tub sent a message to my brain saying. .hooray! Its a sex party! Alas, no. . .it was not. It was just a mellow hanging out and relaxing kind of situation. Oh well. So, we hung out at this GORGEOUS 3-level row home in the U St area, with a 2 tiered roof top deck, one of the tiers housing the hot tub. Did we ever get in the hot tub, alas, no. It just sat there, teasing me the entire time. From there, we headed home. Ahhhhh, sleep.

Saturday was a packed day for me, as I had carefully scheduled out many activities to accomplish in not alot of time. 1) Pick up rental car 2) head to Baltimore to take Dad out for Father's Day 3) be back in DC in time to meet friends for dinner and Show in Old Town. Seems simple enough, right? Well, I went to print off my confirmation for my rental car, when I discovered that i had selected 1:30, instead of 11:30. So, I call the rental car place and ask if I could pick up the car earlier, no dice. Damn you Hotwire!! So, that shortened my time with Dad, immensely. So, I head to the airport to get the car, and arrive at the counter to find a ridiculously long line. I hop in and stand there and wait, and wait, and wait. I then decide to get my paperwork ready, and am horrified to realize that after trying to re-arrange my reservation, I had neglected to print off my reservation, and did not have my confirmation number. So, I frantically text my friends to see if they were home, and could access my email for me to get the confirmation number. Found someone, phew. . .got that, so I relax abit and wait, and wait, and wait. I arrive at the counter at 3:30, I had since called my dad to reschedule, as there was no way I could get up there, do something with him and get back in time for dinner. . .so, that part was out. I finally got the car, and headed home to shower and change for the evening. I head to dinner with my BF(M)F's at Bilbo Baggins. Had a lovely onion soup and a chicken dish with a chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and dill, served on egg noodles with a garlic oil. Quite good. From there it was off to see Philadelphia Story at LTA. I have to say that my friend Sam kicked ass on stage. He was so charming, relaxed and natural on that stage, it brought a smile to my face every time he appeared. The show is good, the performances are a bit uneven, but all and all an enjoyable evening.

After the show we descended upon Shirlington for some post show drinks. I am not sure how we end up at Capital City Brewery so often. Its an ok place, but I have never been there where there hasn't been so sort of tension or frustration and this night was no different. We started out having to deal with the bitchiest hostess I have ever encountered. But, once seated we were able to enjoy the remainder of our evening. From there, I dropped some friends off at the metro and headed to Freddies for last call. I met up with my buddies, and upon the closing of the bar was invited back for an after hours party. So, of course I had to go! We went back and drank some more, chatted and just hung out for the remainder of the early mornings. At around 6 am, I took a few people back to their cars at Freddies, and headed back to my place to watch a movie with a couple of my friends. We popped in Hedwig, but decided it was a little slow, so we played some board games instead. Pretty fun, we lost one at around 7:00 am, and then we headed back to my friends place to drop off his keys and hang a bit longer. We sat around and chatted and just hung out for a while, then at 1:30 pm, we headed into Crystal City for coffee at Caribou Coffee (no, I did not leave out when I slept, I didn't sleep. . .at all!!). After coffee, I headed home for a shower and to change, then my friend came over and we headed out to. . . . . . the TRUE COLORS concert!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home